Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Boondocks Idol

This recent Sunday strip is an excellent defense of criticism. It's just the kind of thing that the kids at my school need to learn, but I know that any teacher who hung it up would get themselves fired. I miss watching Showtime at the Apollo's Amateur Night...

Speaking of criticism, this month is the first showing of American Idol that we haven't watched as it happens (a friend is taping it for us). The Simon v. Paula wars are a great analogy for intellectual criticism v. hugs & encouragement. I know what Paula's version of the show would be like. I wonder if she's learned any new fake-criticisms-that-sound-musical this year; it's so amusing to hear a non-musician like her tell singers they were "pitchy." Say what you will about Randy Jackson being middle-of-the-road in terms of criticism, he is a real musician. Way back when I was in high school I used to read his columns in Bass Player and was amused to see him show up on AI.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, I don't want to ruin it for you, but last night Simon and Randy said 'yes' to someone Paula said wasn't good enough.

(and, once you are watching the episodes, promise me you'll read the Television without Pity recaps)

I would give anything to hear a siren and see some kid getting swept off if they were slacking in class.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Felix Pardalis said...

y'know, I think I may have seen this happen before. I think Paula knows she comes off as a fool so sometimes she just wants to be contrary for the sake of it. She knows 2 votes is all they need, so if Randy and Simon say 'yes,' she's safe to say 'no' and then later say "Wow, you've really come a long way!!"

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home