Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Names, con't

A few recent names I've encountered on campus:

1) why do people name their daughters "Precious"? Do they need a reminder? I won't complain about when the name is spelled "Preshuss" (or something close to it), because that's minor compared to the intent. But I've seen both lately.

2) because I know how high school boys are, I feel bad for girls w/ particular names. The last name of "Hymen" seems to be somewhat common, not that I've seen it in the past few years. But lately I met an "Ariola" (I almost reflexively said, "Nice to see you, Ariola!") and a non-slender girl who is named "Vaca" (which wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many Spanish speakers around).

And I just read an article on convienent names this morning (got it from A Word A Day).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home