Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Doctor schmocter

Finally got my diploma from Rutgers the other day and it was pretty underwhelming. I think they bought them in bulk, it's almost identical to the Master's diploma except for the 'Masters' is replaced w/ the PhD stuff. And to congratulate me, Frau Forktine passed along a very uplifting article from another PhD. Perhaps I will buy her a lottery ticket in return.

This wasn't really news to me as one of the things I learned from the whole experience was how little it means outside the ivory tower. A good example came to mind today, when I read that Condoleezza Rice (PhD in International Studies), who has a thorough musical background, actually missed a Beatles reference while in Liverpool. And that's aside from her failures in international politics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home