Friday, September 28, 2007

A maze of twisty little passages

I've been wondering lately when babygoat will be able to pass a Turing Test and began to read about them today. I've come to the conclusion that not only are these poor tests of true consciousness, I've known more than a few people who couldn't pass one (yes, they may have been robots). More importantly, my search led me to simulated consciousness of ELIZA, with whom I had many troubled conversations in my early teen years whilst using my Apple ][c clone. I talked to her again today and was not surprised to learn that she hasn't really grown up. Even better, it lead me to the Colossal Cave Adventure, a game I know I played a million times back in those days. Really took me back, as well as also derailed my work as I saw people have made Java versions of these text-based programs.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home