Wednesday, January 11, 2006

CD listening

For the past several months, I've been working my way thru my entire CD collection in an attempt to listen to it all. This is partially due to the fact that now, unlike the past 6 or 7 years, I'm finally around all of it at once. Unlike my friend Geoff, who's listened to his music collection in alphabetical order a few times, I wanted to be a bit more random about it. I went to Random.org and generated a sequence of 849 numbers (that being the number of my CDs when I began) and have been working thru the list since last summer.

I've occasionally gotten some interesting patterns, like when the Propellerheads' Decksanddrumsandrockandroll came up right before The Who's Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy. Last week, I had another where two unquestionable double-album prog-rock masterpieces came up in close proximity: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis and The Wall by Pink Floyd (tho I will admit that the latter is only marginally a prog album). I just thought I'd mention it because I know some friends will love to see talk about unquestionable prog-rock masterpieces. This system usually leads to very interesting sequences, like this week's Allan Holdsworth followed by They Might Be Giants followed by Rush followed by Gary Numan followed by Captain Beefheart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home