Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Anybody can do acupuncture!

I saw the headline Acupuncture Shown to Relieve Migraines and was very intrigued. When reading, I was struck by the following quote, which should have been part of the headline: sham acupuncture is as effective as traditional Chinese acupuncture. In effect, that invalidates the headline: if any needle-poking seems to do the trick, why highlight the expensive and official form of it? This is especially the case when there's plenty of evidence that people who use acupuncture feel better afterwards (else I think it would not have survived for so many years); the real news here is that the meridian points may not be important. Being a skeptical sort, I've always been wary of those who told me the benefits of acupuncture, even among the martial artists I've known and respected. Hopefully more studies will be done on this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home