Monday, February 27, 2006

Farewell, Mr. Furley

Yeah, I know he's probably going to be remembered more as Barney Fife, but I'll always think of Don Knotts as Mr. Furley on Three's Company. I know obits are supposed to show the nicest shots of someone who's passed, but why don't any of them at least include a shot of his best face? Or at least his usual face. One of my favorite rolls of his is from a movie he did with Tim Conway called The Private Eyes that I watched a zillion times in the early 80s. The movie's a whodunit set in a haunted mansion with the detectives bumbling their way thru the case. The main gag of the movie is in the almost-rhyming clues left at each murder. A sample (this is from memory): "In this house it's hard to survive / Some who are dead were once alive / Mr. Yawatsah's gone because he knew too much / Bye for now, let's keep in constant contact with each other."

And I still have never seen that L.A. band called Don Knotts Overdrive, one of those bands I want to see just because the name's so cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home